A Teacher in Transition

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Invested

I've always been someone who emotionally invests in people without thinking about the end.
When I began this block of student teaching I knew that it would soon be over. That didn't stop me from trying each and every day to reach out to my students.
Now that I have finally reached them, it's time to say goodbye. I will not have the opportunity to plan lessons around their interests and ability levels. I will not have the chance to see them learn to read or to make solid friendships.
In 4 days I will have different students, with different issues and personalities. By Friday I will have invested in them only to find that all too soon it will be time to once again say goodbye.
This is not a good way to learn.
This is a part of our program that is seriously flawed and needs to be fixed.
For now all I can do is hug them a little tighter, listen a little bit longer, and try not to cry as they tell me goodbye tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home